|Families of children with autism have many day-to-day concerns. However, most people still don’t realize that obtaining insurance coverage for medically necessary therapies is one of the biggest. More than half of Americans with insurance provided through their employers are covered by health benefit plans that are not subject to state regulation. However, they can opt to voluntarily provide coverage for ABA therapy. To an employee with a child on the Autism Spectrum, there couldn’t be a more valuable benefit!|
In celebration of Autism Awareness Month, Autism Home Support Services is again publishing its Honor Roll of Outstanding Employers for Autism. Each week in April, we’re giving a hearty shout-out to some of these Champion Employers who have voluntarily added autism benefits to their plans.
Congratulations and THANK YOU on behalf of all families affected by autism to:
1. McDermott Will and Emery “In word and deed, we value integrity, efficiency, diversity, and pro bono and community service.”
2. Northern Trust Bank “We have been an active member of the community, a leader in business and philanthropy, and a trailblazer in employee benefits & support.”
3. R.R. Donnelley “Drawing on its tradition of supporting youth, education, inclusion, & diversity, The Foundation is responsive to the emerging needs that challenge our employees & their communities.”
4. General Motors “We’re creating a culture where everyone feels valued & our talent has the freedom & opportunity to grow, learn, & evolve as professionals.”
5. SmithGroupJJR “Our mission is to create a legacy of inspiring places that enhance the environment & enrich the human experience…[We bring] integrity, talent, & hard work to everything we do.”
*Quotes from respective websites
By electing to provide this coverage, you’re providing parents with an opportunity to obtain theray which can change their child’s life. You’re helping as we do in “Empowering Real Progress Toward Hopes and Dreams.”
There is still work to be done! If your employer does not offer autism benefits, you can get help with advocacy from Autism Speaks. Visit their website to learn more. You can also find a nationwide list of self-funded companies that provide an autism benefit in their ERISA Took kit.